Sunday, October 12, 2008

Feeding the ducks



Well, the quick trip to Provo was a success. I woke up early this morning when Michael came into our room after returning from the game. We won, although I was a little disappointed that we didn't win by more points. Annabelle and I had a blast together. Even though it was cold, windy, and raining/snowing a little bit, after her nap, I took her to the duck pond. It's a park with lots of little trails that loop around a several large ponds, a playground, and you guessed, lots and lots of ducks. Last week after conference, we went and fed the ducks, but I didn't bring enough food because I ran out within minutes. People come and feed the ducks all the time and they are not afraid of humans at all. Annabelle and I stood on a bench and I threw pieces of bread and old crackers to them. I tried to have Annabelle feed them, but she would always take the food I gave her for the ducks and eat it herself. But, I actually prefer that she not feed the ducks. She was barely high off the ground that the ducks couldn't reach up and bite the food out of her hand. One duck even had the nerve to bite my shoe several times if he went a while without getting any food. Annabelle and I were freezing, but we still had a good time. She was fascinated watching the ducks, listening to them quack, and seeing them fight each other for food. I was nervous that she would lose her balance and fall onto the group of food-crazy ducks. So, I held onto her with one hand and tried to tear pieces of food and throw it to the ducks with the other. It was quite difficult. Here are some pictures and a video. The video is kind of shaky because I was trying to hold the camera, hold on to Annabelle so she wouldn't fall, and grind up the crackers for the ducks.









It's a good thing we went yesterday. I was thinking that we could go as a family today after church, but that probably won't happen since there's snow on the ground and it's 26 degrees. Several years from now, snow in October won't be big deal. But I've never lived in a place where there's been snow this early in the year! (Well, that's technically not true since I was born in Alaska and it snows there probably even earlier, but come on. I don't remember anything. I was two years old when we moved.) Oh well. Since this is where we plan on living for a long time, I supposed I'll just have to get used to it.



PS I see now that we haven't had it nearly as bad as other cities, but still, I'm not used to this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAha, my favorite part of this post was at the end of your video when you put "No ducks have been injured during this video".. HAHA. How funny. And oh man. Well at least you GET snow. I'm so upset that we don't anymore. Getting snow is one of my top 5 things I want for Christmas. Seriously. Gr. And annabelle is just the cutest thing ever. I can't wait to see you guys! Christmas is going to be a BLAST!