Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Year's Resolution

I like to think of myself as an active participant when it comes to serving others. I feel like I am dependable and people can count on my fulfilling any task given to me to the best of my ability. However, today I realized that when it comes to serving others without being asked to, I don't think I do very well. I'm not sure that I recognize situations where I can be of service. I realize the theme of this post is different from my usual entries where I talk about Annabelle and the events that go on during the week. The reason is because of two separate incidences that happened today.

I took Annabelle to the store to get a few things. After making my purchases and exiting the store, I made my way through the parking lot back to my car, while pushing my cart with Annabelle standing in it and it filled with my bags. The snow was packed down, but very thick. I was having a hard time keeping the cart straight, and several times, it veered into the center of the lane. As I turned to pass between two parked cars to get to the next aisle, I saw that there was a empty cart in my way. There wasn't enough room to get past it, but I didn't want to leave Annabelle alone, standing in the cart while I moved the other one out of the way. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a young man turn and look over his shoulder at my situation. He then wheeled around and walked several yards back to where I was and moved the cart out of my way. It was a very small gesture, but the impact it had on me was great.

Then later as I was turning into my parking spot, I saw my neighbor out shoveling snow off of the two parking spots belonging to Michael and me. I think he was a little disappointed that I came home before he was finished, but it gave me a chance to say thank you.

These two kind gestures were very insignificant, but they each made my day a little brighter. I know I'm a little late in making a New Year's resolution, but better late then never. My goal this year is to look for opportunities to commit small acts of service.

No comments: