Sunday, November 2, 2008

Baby shower

Yesterday was the day I threw a baby shower for my friend and, boy, let me tell you, it was pretty stressful at times. I prepared everything for the games on Friday and Saturday was devoted to making the food and decorating the clubhouse that was just built. I was supposed to get started at a certain time, but didn't actually get going until about an hour later. The first item I was going to make was a fruit pizza. I have never made this before, but it sounded easy enough. Well after only a few minutes in the oven, the sugar cookie dough expanded and started to run off the pizza pan and onto the bottom of the stove. Suddenly, the house smelled like something was really burning and there was thick smoke coming out of the oven. Then, the smoke alarm went off and I couldn't figure out how to turn it off. To add to that, while I was standing on the chair trying to turn the alarm off, Annabelle was over by the open oven trying to explore the smoke. I finally got the alarm off, opened all the windows and turned on the ceiling fan, but the alarm still proceeded to go off two more times. I went from looking forward to what my beautiful masterpiece of a fruit pizza was going to look like to being very stressed and just wanting to throw my pizza out the window. Michael fortunately came downstairs at that point and kept Annabelle occupied while I cleaned up the stove and got myself under control. I did eventually finished preparing that first pizza and even made another one. The other main dish was a 7-layer bean dip. Overall, they turned out very well and I got many compliments on the food and also on my homemade lemonade.



Around the time that I was packing up the car to bring all the food and other party supplies to the clubhouse, I sent Michael on an errand to pick up some balloons and on his way, stop at the clubhouse and put the pizzas in the fridge. Since the clubhouse is not completely ready yet, there is only one person who has a key. I knew someone who knew the person with the key and I asked him to make sure that the clubhouse was unlocked for our party. Michael called me when he reached the clubhouse to inform me that the door was indeed locked. I panicked. I was already running late. I ran to my neighbor's house and knocked on the door to ask him to ask the person with the key to open the clubhouse, but he wasn't home, nor was he answering his phone. It was almost a disaster. We did eventually get it open and I did get everything set up in time. The shower turned out to be a huge success. I think everyone that came had a good time and the mom-to-be looked pretty happy.


The party went well. Everyone loved the food and the games were fairly entertaining as well. And the great news was I even had a few leftover pieces of pizza and a little dip. Once I came back home, Annabelle went crazy with the helium balloons. It was pretty fun to watch.


"What's she looking at?"


The balloons, of course. Her favorite thing to do was let the balloons one by one float to the top of our 15 foot ceiling.


"You ROCK!"

2 comments:

Cyppy said...

Fruit pizza, yum! Your culinary talents certainly exceed those of your m-i-l! Glad the shower was a success.

rachel said...

That fruit pizza looks so good! You are so great! We love you tons