Friday, June 18, 2010

School and rolling over

This week has been pretty busy. I feel like the number of hours in a day have shortened. Michael has been extremely busy, too, and we've hardly seen each other this week. I'm sure when the semester is over and he's not teaching anymore, he'll have a little more time. I can't believe that there are only 4 weeks left of the semester. That means both Michael and Annabelle will be done with school. Monday, I observed Annabelle at preschool. Her classroom has one wall of two-sided mirrors and on the other side of those mirrors is a tiny little room for parents and university students to observe. It was really fun to see her interact with the other kids. Although I think she's one of the youngest kids, she certainly one of the tallest. In the time that I observed (about 30 minutes), she was nice to the other kids and listened to her teachers. I'm sure she's not like that all the time, but I was very impressed with her behavior and I think she's turning out to be a great kid.

In the meantime, Jillian has started rolling over. I've been emailing a friend who has a baby that is 10 days older than Jillian and her baby has been rolling over for about a month. I finally realized just the other day that the reason Jillian hasn't rolled over yet is because she's never her stomach and babies have an easier time rolling from their stomach to their back. Jillian has a play mat that sits on the floor and it has little hanging mobiles. She likes to lie on her back and reach up and play with them. She has spent many hours on her back playing on that mat while I teach piano or make dinner. But I hardly ever put her on her stomach. I did that just yesterday and within a few minutes, she rolled over. It will take some practice for it to come more naturally, but now I know why it took so long to happen.

No comments: