Monday, May 11, 2009

potty training help

Annabelle has been showing signs of being ready to potty train. So, Friday we went to the store and I let Annabelle pick out a new potty, step stool, and characters on her pull-ups. Today is the day we begin. We've been going at it for 4 hours. She doesn't mind sitting on the potty. The problem I foresaw was being able to teach her how to recognize the urge to go to the bathroom and indeed this is something that we are struggling with. She tells me after she's gone in her underwear, but not before. Does anyone have any suggestions to help her learn this concept or does she just learn that over time?

3 comments:

amber hawkins warren said...

This is some advice I was given by a friend. Not sure if it works because we're still in the infant stages of starting it.

"You will have to watch carefully and prompt him to go to the bathroom. In fact, at first you will be the one controlling when they go to the bathroom. They can hold it but don't have the ability/willingness to tell you before they need to go. But think of it as being just as much trouble as changing a poopy diaper. I think it's better.

Start sitting him on the potty every time you change a diaper. Let him sit there for a bit. Sometimes the cold air will make him want to pee so if he pees in the toilet make a big deal over it. Also, when I changed poopy diapers, I would dump it in the toilet (as long is at was pretty solid) and I always told Grant what I was doing."

I think you have to shape behavior instead of trying to teach them how to recognize they have to go. So put her on the toilet when you think she might be ready to go . . . ?? And then make a big deal over it. Keep reinforcing!

Colleen said...

Reinforcement is a very good idea, but for some kids it just takes time. Be patient!

Anonymous said...

How's potty training coming?

Ps. Only 3 weeks left! :D