Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Major milestones...

This picture captures it all. We have been having a blast here in Sheridan, WY. We've spent days swinging on the swing set, playing in the sandbox, and jumping on the trampoline. Annabelle has helped make dinner, tighten the piano bench, and all sorts of other things. Our trip to WY started out a little rough. Annabelle has some teeth coming in, so she was already a little irritable, but then we found out she had an ear infection as well. Once we got her on antibiotics for a few days, things got much better. She now loves hanging out with her grandparents in everything that they're doing. She gives kisses out freely and shares a smile with anyone who looks her way. Her vocabulary and motor skills are increasing each day. She has already learned about 7 new words. She also can tell you what a duck says and what a dog says. We're currently working on our mooing sounds.

In fact, I must share a remarkable and extraordinary feat that I witnessed earlier this week. Annabelle had just finished having a drink and put her cup of milk back on the shelf in the fridge all by herself. Then, without any prompting from me, she just blurted out, "I did it" and immediately started clapping as if she knew that she had done something worthy of clapping. I was shocked. Annabelle had just spoken a her first complete sentence. I couldn't even think of a time that I have used that phrase around Annabelle. For her to just spit it out like it was no biggie right at the perfect time was absolutely amazing to me. Then, knowing that clapping is a reward for doing something good, she clapped for herself. I asked her if she had just said 'I did it' and she, without any hesitation, nodded her head as she said, Yes". It was definitely one of the proudest moments I've enjoyed as a mother.

It's been nice to visit with Robert and Cynthia. I have been to the YCMA to play pickleball with Cynthia, as well as attend a cycling class that she is currently teaching. Robert has increased my knowledge and understanding of car engines and some new ideas about affirmative action. With all this playing, conversing, and learning going on, it's been a great vacation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh man. Lindsey I miss you guys so much. Annabelle is just so cute. That is so awesome that she said her first sentence. She is so smart. :] I love you.

(Once again, LOVE the pictures)