Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Little things you never forget

I had an unusual and momentary heartbreaking experience on Sunday. It all started a month and a half ago when Michael and I received a calling to be nursery leaders in our ward. At about 9:00 on a Thursday night, a member of our bishopric insisted on meeting with us that evening. That seemed fine to us until he told us he was working and wouldn't be able to come to our place until after 10:30. That seemed a little late to me, but if it was that urgent, it must have been important. So, the time came and there the three of us sat, me in my glasses and pajamas, Michael still in his suit and tie, and the member of the bishopric in a t-shirt and jeans. We had never met this man before and so after the obligatory tell-me-a-little-about-yourselves questions, we were asked if we would accept the calling to be nursery leaders. We said we would, but I don't think we realized what we had gotten ourselves into.

Our ward is huge and at the time of our call, there were 4 nurseries. Our first Sunday as nursery leaders was one I'll never forget. We had 18 kids on the roster; fortunately, only 11 of them were present. It was quite a difficult feat to keep track of 11 three year-olds, plus Annabelle, who was suffering from a little bit of jealously from all the attention I was giving the other kids.

Then, two weeks ago, we were switched to a different class and became the nursery leaders of the fifth and newest nursery class. This one is full of younger kids and there are only half as many kids on the roster. Michael and I had to switch gears a little to be able to get the kids to relate to us, as they were younger in age. During that first Sunday in the new class, the woman in charge of nursery asked if we would like to have Annabelle attend a different nursery class so we could focus more on the other kids. She is only 16 months, and the age at which kids enter the nursery is 18 months. Michael and I agreed to this and for the first time ever, I was separated from Annabelle for a full two hours of church. Needless to say, I was too busy with other children to think about our parting for too long.

Annabelle loved it! She had no problem being separated from her parents and enjoyed spending time with the other children. Last week, I understood just how much she loved nursery when her teacher brought her to me saying she had a messy diaper. As I held out my arms to my little girl, she turned and buried her face in the legs of her teacher. I have never before been rejected by my own daughter and I must say, the experience was a little unsettling at the moment. She did come to me a few seconds later and once again, we were best buds. It was feeling that lasted only seconds, but I will never forget it. I've come to realize that not only does she need attention from me, but I need attention from her as well.

2 comments:

Michael W. Brown said...

Who would have thought that we'd see the day that you actually yearned for your daughter to wipe the mucus from her runny nose on your skirt or pant leg? In seriousness, I know the feeling of being rejected by her probably better than you do! Let's just hope that we can be the kind of parents she won't want to reject when she is older and has better judgment.

Cyppy said...

She's a smart one, The Little Princess! Maybe she has already learned to manipulate emotions!