Friday, October 16, 2009

Annabelle's Halloween costume

When my friend told me that she was making her son a Halloween costume this year, the thought of making Annabelle a costume sounded really fun and appealing. However, I have very, very limited sewing experience (the extent of which includes making a rather hideous-looking outfit back when I was like 10. My mom was kind enough to let me pick out the material we used even though she probably knew it wouldn't look great and helped me sew a shirt and shorts). My friend, who knows enough about sewing to be able to make a darn good-looking turtle costume for her almost one-year old, was kind enough to offer to help me make whatever I wanted for Annabelle.

This is the first Halloween that Annabelle is old enough to understand somewhat what is going on and the first year that we've lived in a neighborhood where there are lots of kids that will be coming to our door. (I think last year, we had a total of like 4 trick-or-treaters.) So, I got really excited.

Soon after, we went to the store to look at patterns. After debating between a ladybug and a princess, we decided to make a princess dress and Annabelle picked out the material (which was, of course, a very girly pink color). According to my friend, it wouldn't be too hard of a dress to make, but we did hit a few confusing spots along the way. Thank goodness she knew what she was doing because there is no way I could have figured out how to make it on my own. Here are a few pictures of the process.
And here is the finished product. Add a crown (which I'll get later), ruby red lips, big eyes, pink cheeks, and whatever else princesses have (according to Disney movies) and Annabelle is well on her way to becoming a real princess as well.

5 comments:

jamie said...

So SO Cute!!! She looks so thrilled to be in her little dress!

Lauren said...

Very cute! You are much more ambitious than I would ever be! I am sure Annabelle will have a ball trick-or-treating! Let's hope she doesn't have to wear her winter coat!

Jana said...

Great job Linz. Sewing can be very daunting!

Christy said...

I was laughing out loud when you said that I know what I'm doing! But I had tons of fun working on it with you, and I'm glad you guys like it!

Cyppy said...

Wow--impressive! Poor L never had a mother who could sew fantastic costumes. We did make butterfly wings once out of wire and tule...