Sunday, August 8, 2010

I need a fix-it machine

It's been a tough weekend for me. First, I got a little too close to a sprinkler head when mowing and chopped it off, then I broke the pump on the weed sprayer. Fortunately, the sprinkler still works. I only broke off the top cover, which doesn't do anything. I take full responsibility for not paying closer attention and hitting it with the mower. However, with the weed sprayer, I have no idea what happened there. It's a complete mystery. I filled it up with the weed killer and water, pumped to build up pressure and it worked fine. I went through a whole container, pumping and spraying as I went, without any problems whatsoever. Then, when I had it filled a second time and went to spray the rest of the yard, I found that the pump was not working. It was not creating the pressure needed to shoot the water out of the hose. How is it possible that it worked all the way up til I used the last of the solution and then broke in between refilling the container? The fact that I didn't even use the pump during the refilling makes it even more bizarre. You can imagine how upset I was at myself when I went in to tell Michael that the sprayer wasn't working, especially after having just told him the day before that I mowed over the sprinkler. I don't know how it happens, but these types of incidents always happen to me, where for absolutely no reason that I can see, something just breaks whenever I'm using it. Frankly, I'm getting tired this scenario being repeated. Am I just a magnet that sucks the life out of objects or is it just bad luck? Well, in any case, I guess I could always use that as an excuse to get out of doing household chores like mowing the lawn and spraying the weeds. Heck, I would hate to have the dishwasher, washer, and dryer break so I might as well stop doing the dishes and laundry, too right? Ah, the pleasures of wishful thinking!

2 comments:

Aubrey Jane said...

LOL, Lindsey, You are awesome. I'm sure that's frustrating but at least you are out there doing it, don't be too hard on yourself. :)

Christy said...

I have this theory that the longer I'm married, the less of a "handyman" I become (meaning several years ago I was able to put that screw in the wall, but now for some reason it won't let me.) Maybe you are suffering from the same "disease?" Hopefully nothing else breaks in the near future!