Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Dresser pains

After 2 1/2 years of Annabelle going without a dresser, I finally convinced Michael that it was time she get one. For the first year of her life, she didn't have her own room and there was no room for her to have her own dresser, nor a need since I would just put her clothes in our closet or dresser. However, I felt that it was time to get her one of her own to go in her own room. I have been looking for a dresser for several months on craigslist and stores in town. We finally saw an ad for a dresser we liked at KMart on sale, so we bought it.
A few days later, Michal and I planned to put it together after he got home from work. In order to make the process easier, I unpacked all the parts out of the box ahead of time and looked to make sure we had the gazillion screws it needed and found that we were missing just under half of the needed screws. I went back to the store and told a worker about the problem and he gave me the needed bag of parts.
That night, Michael and I began what we thought would be a pretty easy job. Almost 2 hours and a huge mess later, we were stuck, not even halfway through putting it together. We had come to spot where the screws I had been given at the store earlier were absolutely not fitting in the assigned spots on the dresser. We looked at the instructions over and over again to make sure we had put it together correctly so far and having no idea what we could have messed up on, we were about to give up, when Michael came up with one last desperate thought. Maybe the store had given us parts for a different dresser and that's why they weren't fitting. So, with 10 minutes to spare before the store closed, I raced back to K-Mart once again a 9:50 pm to see if they could tell me why the screws weren't fitting. It turns out that the person who had helped me earlier had given the screws of an older model of the dresser we bought. They were finally able to figure this out and give me the correct screws. As soon as I came home, we looked to see if our problem really was solved and behold, the screw was a perfect fit.
We finally finished the dresser at around 11:30 that night. I am so glad that Annabelle now has a dresser. Her closet is much more organized and we are able to put some nice pictures on top of the dresser. I had no idea that getting this dresser would cause such a headache and lots of stress, but now that it's over, we can enjoy seeing our hard work being put to good use.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, cute! It fits perfectly with her room! :) Love you!

Melissa said...

yeah putting together a dresser should be easy but its not. i remember when i moved to salt lake and my mom bought me a bed, dresser, and little table. that took forever!!! so i know how you feel. im glad you guys got it together anyways tho