Thursday, November 15, 2012

A night in Russia

Sunday night, we hosted several youth and adults from church so Michael cold share some of his experiences as a missionary in Russia. There was a good turnout and it was fun to hear some of the stories and see pictures.


We wanted to give people a taste of Russia so Michael found some recipes and asked if I would make them. I agreed and ended up spending 6 1/2 straight hours in the kitchen making 3 or 4 batches of Russian black bread (which I hate to say was horrible. Not because of anything I did, but because of the ingredients. I followed the recipe to a tee.), pirozhki (kind of like a hot pocket filled with meat and eggs), and chocolate chip cookies (obviously not Russian. I just wanted to make something I knew how to make and something I knew would turn out delicious even if the other foods didn't). Both the bread and the priozhki were very difficult to make because the dough for each wasn't like any dough I was ever used to making. The pirozkhi dough was made out of flour, sour cream, and a little bit of butter and that's it. I had to keep adding more and more water to make it even remotely dough-like. It was all worth it though. Michael said the food was close to tasting like what it tasted like in Russia. But most importantly, I think it was an uplifting experience for everyone.

 

No comments: