Monday, July 30, 2012

Wyoming trip

We just back from spending over a week with my in-laws and it was one fun, busy vacation. To keep from making one of the longest blog entries ever, I’ll break up the trip and write several separate entries describing our great vacation. So make sure you keep reading after this entry.

Let me begin by saying that I’m one of those lucky people who got the best in-laws you could ask for. Michael had to go to Denver for work that week and so I was there with his parents for a week by myself. Not everyone would be able to do that and say that had an absolutely wonderful time. But they are such kind, selfless people that I always feel totally at ease there. I really do love to be with them.

As I mentioned, Michael had to go to Denver later that week so I made the 7 hour drive alone with 3 kids. Thankfully, I met my in-laws in Billings, MT and my mother-in-law drove with me the last 2 hours. The drive started out well. I was able to get everyone dressed and fed well before the time we wanted to leave. But while we were getting ready, Michael was attempting to move the captain seats around in the van per my request. It turned out to be much trickier than expected and there was about a 20 minute period where we weren’t sure that we would be able to leave anytime that morning because the seats were totally messed up. Fortunately, Michael figured things out and we pulled out of the driveway only 7 minutes after my desired departure time. As Michael was saying goodbye to the girls, Annabelle started bawling. Michael was giving her a hug and she wouldn’t let go of him. When we asked her what was wrong, she said she was going to miss him too much. It was such a tender moment that I myself got choked up and tried unsuccessfully to hold back the tears. I’m so glad that Michael is such an important part of Annabelle’s life now. There was a time when she didn’t want anyone around but me. She is definitely over that, thank goodness.

Once we got off, things went downhill. Only 45 minutes into the trip, Jillian started complaining that her stomach hurt and only a few minutes later, she threw up everything she ate for breakfast. I had just entered the mountains and there was no good place to place over. So I had to keep driving as Jillian sat there in her vomit, bawling and freaking out, and Annabelle holding her nose and trying to not to look at Jillian, which would have surely caused her to throw up as well. Annabelle has quite a history of getting car sick (once when I was driving to Utah by myself, she threw up 7 times and the usual 3 ½ hour drive ended up taking 8 hours), but as she’s gotten older, it hasn’t been a problem anymore. I guess now we have to worry about Jillian. After a few minutes, I came upon a turnout and we stopped to get her cleaned up. Thankfully, it didn’t get on the actual seat of the van, just all over Jillian and her car seat. I cleaned up as best I could with the cleaning supplies I always have in the car and we continued on. She didn’t throw up the rest of the trip which was a miracle because the weather was causing some serious problems. For most of the way to Billings, there was a downpour. It was absolutely terrifying when we were driving through West Yellowstone and the mountains. The rain was coming down so hard that I couldn’t see more than a few feet in front of me. I felt us sliding and we almost hydroplaned a number of times. I was gripping the wheel so tightly my knuckles were numb. Sarah was fast asleep and Annabelle and Jillian were watching a movie. Annabelle could tell that things were bad and so she was really good about keeping Jillian interested in the movie and they didn’t distract me much. That was the scariest time I’ve ever had driving. Once we got to Billings, the rest of the way was clear skies and we made it safely to Sheridan, WY.





No comments: