Thursday, August 4, 2011

International Folk Dance Festival

Last week was the annual Folk Dance festival. Dancers from all over the world travel here to perform. It's really neat to see. To start the week, they have a parade where each country does short dances from their native land as they walk down Main street. It had been raining all day, but cleared up somewhat in the late afternoon. The kids and I packed up our stuff and got a decent spot. We had a great time until out of nowhere about halfway through the parade, it started to pour and the wind was so strong. I didn't even have time to pack everything back up before we were pretty much soaked. Annabelle was holding the picnic blanket we had set up over her head, so she was somewhat protected. I put Jillian in the stroller while I cleaned up and tried to cover her as best as I could; however, I didn't know the wind was blowing the rain directly in her face. Finally, I had everything ready to go and we raced back to the car. Jillian was screaming her head off (poor thing was in the direct path of the wind and rain), Annabelle was whimpering and whining, and I was thoroughly drenched. Annabelle didn't want to take the blanket off her head, but she was having trouble running with it and was tripping a lot. There were two different people who took pity on us and tried to help. I'm sure we did look pretty pathetic. We finally made it to the car, and by this time, all three of us were shivering. I really enjoy this parade and was pretty bummed that it was rained out. Oh well. It makes for a pretty good story.



No comments: