Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Winter 2010 has officiallybegun

After record high temps here last week (which I missed because I was having a FABULOUS time back in So. Illinois with my family for my brother's wedding- more on that later), this week we've seen nothing but snow, the first snow fall of the year. Although I should be glad that it waited until November to snow, I'm still not sure I'm ready for driving on the snowy roads, shoveling the driveway 3 times a day, and dressing my kids like eskimos every time we go outside because it's so cold. However, snow also makes me excited because I LOVE Thanksgiving and Christmas! This is my favorite time of the year and I just can't get enough of the holiday season.You'd think that since I was born in Alaska, I would be a pro at building a snowman; however, I have never been able to build one. I spent most of my life living in a climate that didn't offer much snow in winter and when I did have an opportunity to attempt to build a snowman, I could never make it even look remotely like one.

When I discovered on Monday that the snow we received the night before was perfect packing snow, I decided that I would attempt to build a snowman once again. After picking Annabelle up from school and putting Jillian down for a nap, Annabelle and I put on our snow suits and headed outside. Once again, my initial, feeble attempts were getting me nowhere. But then 2 neighbor boys came over and offered their expert advice. Within 10 minutes, we had a snowman! Granted, it wasn't the nicest one I've ever seen, but there was no mistaken that when you looked at it, you could tell it was a snowman. We tried using leftover candy corn from Halloween for the eyes, nose, mouth, and buttons, but there weren't sticking very well. Here is a picture of my very first snowman!

No comments: