Tuesday, June 9, 2009

There's a first time for everything

Yesterday was a day of firsts for Annabelle. Two things happened that she has never done before. The first is that Annabelle wore real little girl underwear. She's been in Pull-ups for about a month now. She actually caught on to the idea of going to the bathroom in the potty pretty quickly. I'd say it took about 2-3 days for her to understand what to do. But the problem was she didn't know how to hold it, so I would have to be the one to get her to the bathroom before she had an accident. Within a few more days, she was able to hold it for a couple hours before I'd take her to the bathroom. But after that, we were stuck. She knew what to do and had very few accidents, but she wouldn't tell me when she had to go. I was always the one to ask her if she needed go. Last week, she began telling me occasionally. I decided that we needed to just take that one last step, meaning wearing real panties, to help her learn to recognize the urge to go and not want to go in her underwear. So, we went to the store and I let her pick out 2 packs of underwear, one is just normal colors and the other she got to pick a pack of Little Mermaid underwear. That really got her excited to wear them. And on our first day, she was accident-free. YEA!!!!

The other thing she got to do for the first time is attend the circus. A friend called and told me that she had a free child's pass and buy 1 get 1 free adult coupon. So, we all went together. Annabelle had a great time, even though we adults were only somewhat amused. There were lots of acts involving animals, such as bears, elephants, and tigers, and other acts including stunts on a bike, aerial stunts, rollerblading, etc. The only problem was it was over 2 hours long and the later show, which we attended didn't even get started on time. So, at 10:00 at night, we're finally leaving the area walking back to our car. Annabelle was exhausted, but she sat still on my lap for the entire show.

1 comment:

Cyppy said...

I do believe the only circus I've been to was in Russia. And my poor children were deprived of such learning opportunities. Eric said the first zoo he went to was in Oregon on his mission. Maybe my grandchildren will fare better!